Widford Lodge School was founded in 1935 by the Witham family – originally as an all-boys boarding school.
The school is in a secluded setting on the outskirts of Chelmsford, close to the A12 with convenient access from all of Chelmsford, Brentwood and surrounding towns and villages. The deceptively compact school site includes school buildings in an elegant manor house and purpose-built classrooms. Our grounds include a nine acre sports field, a flood-lit tennis court and all-weather multi-purpose sports area as well as our playground and woods.
During the Second World War, the majority of pupils were evacuated to Somerset and the school was commandeered by the local ambulance corps. During this time, Widford Lodge acquired the distinctive school hall.
In 1985, the Pre-Prep was introduced, accepting boys aged four to seven. At the end of the 1980s, the decision was made to become a day school.
In the early 1990s, Widford Lodge became a co-educational day school for children between the ages of 2½ and 11 years old.